Located at 370 Main Street, Aurora, NY, the Aurora Free Library is one of 33 local libraries served by the Finger Lakes Library System.
Wednesday: 10am–Noon and 3pm–6pm
Patrons may connect to system-wide resources and their patron account online through the library’s web portal.
Library Board, Library Committees and Library Staff
The Aurora Free Library is governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees and has three volunteer committees: the Preservation Committee, the Morgan Opera House Committee and the Fundraising Committee. The library employs a library director, assistant librarian and library aide, and traditionally has had the support of many dedicated volunteers.
Designed and built as a community meeting place in 1899, the Tudor Revival building housing the Aurora Free Library was a gift to the Village of Aurora from Louise Morgan Zabriskie. Some of its splendid interior features include ornately carved woodwork, leaded glass windows, and a Victorian theater, the Morgan Opera House, on the second story. A complete archive of charter documents are available online.
The building currently houses the library, a basement jail cell and the Opera House, which was dormant for nearly fifty years. In 1989, under the auspices of the Aurora Free Library and with the encouragement of the Aurora community, the restoration of the Opera House was begun. Over the following five years, the Opera House was restored to its original condition while utilized as the setting for a variety of cultural events each summer.
Enrichment through literacy, community and learning.
Accuracy, Transparency, Accountability, Confidentiality, Approachability and Quality.